Newly Hired Staff – COVID-19 Information
Berkeley Lab continues to recruit and hire new employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some adjustments to the normal hiring process have been made. Here some updates that pertain to newly hired staff:
- Temporary Telework – Many new staff who are not authorized or required to work on-site will temporarily work remotely during the pandemic. When Berkeley Lab resumes regular on-site working conditions, temporary telework arrangements are expected to end. Your supervisor will provide you with updates and expectations as to when you will start working on-site.
- Temporary telework is only available for individuals who live in the Bay Area, or outside of the local area but within the United States if approved by the division.
- Temporary telework from an International location is not an available option.
- Relocation Assistance – Eligible newly hired employees may have received a relocation assistance benefit as part of their offer. As a result of the pandemic, the Department of Energy (DOE) has restricted all business travel, which includes use or payment of relocation assistance. This benefit may not be used or paid out during the travel restriction period, nor is it reimbursable at a later date for relocation costs incurred during the travel restriction period. You will receive formal written notice from a Human Resources representative once DOE has authorized the release of your relocation assistance.
- Quarantine Period for New Bay Area Residents that are Unvaccinated – In an effort to keep you and others safe, individuals who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine and move to the Bay Area may be required to self-quarantine for a 10-day period once you get to the Bay Area and before you start any on-site work. This does not apply to teleworkers.
Visit the Berkeley Lab COVID-19 information page for current information and resources. Please contact your supervisor, Division’s HR Contact or Recruiter if you have any questions.